Main Article Content
Introduction. The study of the cytokine profile during aging is interesting because age-related changes of the immune status are usually correlate with the onset of specific diseases. Characteristics of cytokine activity in the elderly can not only detail the pathogenesis of the disease but also help to choose the appropriate therapeutic strategy, which in addition to the therapeutic effect could improve the quality of life of the elderly. The purpose of this study was to examine cytokine levels in older adults.
Material and methods. We examined 268 people aged 45-80 years and older. All surveyed individuals were divided into 8 different age groups. All participants were tested for concentrations of IL-1?, IL-2, TNF-a and IFN-?.
Results. The study found that concentrations of TNF-a increased with age. For age group 45-49, the concentration of TNF-a was 5.94 pcg/ml. In older age groups, there was a gradual increase in cytokine concentration. In a group of centenarians, concentration of TNF-a reached 20.55 pcg/ml, which is 3.4 times higher compared to the middle age group. Similar trends were found in the concentration of IL-1. For the age group of 45-49, the concentration of IL-1 b was 3.38 pcg/ml, and in the age group of 80 years and older, levels of this cytokine increased almost 5 times. It was found that with age-related there is a gradual decrease in the level of IL-2, and a gradual increase of IFN-?. The decrease in IL-2 is due to the typical aging decrease in the amount of T-lymphocytes.
Conclusion. Thus, our results indicate that there are significant deviations of immune parameters, particularly in cytokine concentrations, in older adults compared to middle aged adults.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.